Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Our Family - A crash course



I am starting this blog in hopes that other new mothers of children with Down Syndrome will have one more perspective. I am new to everything involved in the realm of Down Syndrome and I have found that some of the most worthwhile information is the experiences and accounts of other families so here goes...

Our family is made up of myself, my husband, Howie and our sons, Everett, Finnleyand August.  Everett is four years old and is honing his skills as THE big brother.  Finnley is our very feisty and fun two year old who always keeps us laughing.  Their little brother August was born in May 2009, six weeks early and he is enjoying the company of his brothers and our dog, Oscar immensely!  August was diagnosed with Down Syndrome and an ASD five days after birth. 

August had a short stay in the hospital after birth and did very well catching up on his weight.  August's diagnosis was a shock.  Each time they gave us more correlating evidence (the ASD, the features and then ultimately the blood test), I would hope that perhaps they were wrong.  Neither my husband nor myself had anyone with developmental disabilities in our family and it seemed like we were plunging into a very scary and unknown world.  I cried a lot the first two weeks, but then decided that I needed to learn more about both the similarities and differences between raising August and our other boys. 

I read "Roadmap to Holland" and it was a very important part of my "recovery" from the initial sadness that I felt.  Jennifer is so honest and that was comforting.  I felt less guilty about my sadness and could then dive into the information, which I knew was going to be the most productive thing to do. 

After the initial shock of his early birth, my first c-section, his diagnosis of DS and an ASD, our life seemed to level out a bit and we wondered if August was going to hit any of the health bumps in the road.  In December, after a bit of internet research, I determined that he was having infantile spasms and scheduled an EEG to check for hypsarrhythmia (pattern indicative of infantile spasms) at Johns Hopkins. The EEG showed the pattern and he was put on steroids to correct it.  He stopped having the spasms two days into the treatment, but we are still waiting a week more to take another EEG so that he can be taken off the steroids.  Infantile spasms are scary because the brain wave pattern prevents them from taking in new information so they stop interracting and making new strides.  If it is not caught early, it can further delay development.  Here is a video of the spasms that I posted to youtube for others to see what they look like:


However, August has been smiling again and he is much closer to his old self.  The steroids make him restless so nobody is getting very good sleep so I know his fatigue is getting in the way of some progress.  Also associated with the steroid, is a suppressed immune system, which has lead to strep throat and most recently RSV.

Yesterday he was sent to Johns Hopkins ER to be checked for RSV and he does have it, but was not admitted to the hospital.  The poor little guy is on so many medicines and still is not feeling the best.  I will be so happy when he is feeling good again!

It has been a rollercoaster and those are just the health issues, but August has changed our lives forever.  My husband and I always talk about how fortunate we are to have Everett and Finnley's health and, in comparison to some children with DS, how lucky we are that these are the only issues that Auigust has encountered.  August's arrival has made us take a step back and appreciate all three of our boys as well as each other so much more. 

I will continue posting other vignettes from our life, but there is a start!  Thanks for reading...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine- I'm Cole- I have a 10 mos old who goes by the nickname the Quail on our family blog- feel free to come visit! She was born in 2/09- so our little ones are pretty close in age! Thanks for posting the video of what the spasms look like. I've heard others talk about them and wasn't sure what to watch for. Can you clarify- is it the point in which Auggie's arms fly up or jerk and his eye's open wide that is the spasm- or is the crying with his eye's in between also part of the spasm? The Quail also had RSV last month- she was nospitalized for 5 days. Then this month she ended up at the hospital with bronchiolitis as well for a few days. She is now taking pulmicort, singular and albuterol. Last time with the RSV she took prednisole though- so I feel your pain on a baby hopped up on steroids and not sleeping well- no fun at all! Both times the reason we took her to the hospital though is b/c we woke up to her crying and couldn't comfort her. It was like a night terror-she usually isn't that hard to comfort. But the crying with his eyes closed reminded me of what the Quail looked like those times although she didn't have that spasming motion with her eyes flying open- that's why I was wondering if those movements were all the IS or not.
    Come visit- you have a lovely family and it's nice to meet you! I also had the same reaction to Jennifer GG- Roadmap book- I recommend it over any other for a good understanding. I even bought it for my mom and mil.
    Take care-

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spasm is the part where his eyes get big like he is surprised and his arms fly out. The crying afterwards is just his reaction because he did not plan on doing that...it definitely freaked him out. The spasm action can be different from baby to baby - sometimes it is the head going forward or back or just the legs - it just depends on the kid. The way to discern the spasms is the involuntary jerk and then usually some show of discomfort. A few of these right in a row (known as a cluster) would occur (usually) right before/after sleep. Of course the only definitive way to tell is to schedule an EEG to check for hypsarrhythmia. I hope I didn't go too overboard with the explanation! I am sorry to here that the Quail was hospitalized with RSV -- luckily August didn't have to be and he has bounced back pretty quickly. We are psyched because he is getting off the steroids, getting better from the RSV and he just got tubes in both ears so he can hear again after 2 months (at least) of not hearing! Yay! I feel like we're getting a better picture of what he is like now that he is not super medicated and able to hear! I have already read a bit on your site and I will definitely continue to read....you take care as well!

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones